Recruiting Peer Facilitators to deliver debate training to young participants
Age: 21 – 30
Language: Fluent in English and Arabic
Location: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia
Commitment: 6 – 18 months
Fee Rate: Voluntary with subsistence
Closing Date: 7 April 2019 at 23:59 (Morocco Time)
As part of Young Mediterranean Voices (YMV), the British Council is looking to recruit Peer Facilitators who will be responsible to deliver debate trainings to young debaters, co-develop debate clubs, monitor and support debaters during cascade and competitions as well as possibility to adjudicate during debate competitions. Peer Facilitators will be recruited in 8 MENA countries; Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia.
Young Mediterranean Voices (YMV) seeks to empower young women and men to enhance a culture of dialogue, to contribute to public policy and shape media discourses, and to create a shared understanding with peers across the Mediterranean on how to address issues of common concern to their communities.
To achieve this, the programme focuses on four specific objectives:
- A cadre of young influencers with enhanced skills for dialogue and debate will be created;
- Debating practices will be embedded in education institutions and CSOs;
- Platforms and mechanisms for young influencers will be enhanced to shape public policy, influence decision-makers and shape media narratives;
- Exposure among young debaters for shared understanding and capacity will be enhanced to develop shared responses with peers to socio-cultural challenges.
YMV is coordinated by the Anna Lindh Foundation, co-founded by the British Council, and developed in partnership with the Centre for Mediterranean Integration (CMI), Friends of Europe, the World Leadership Alliance-Club de Madrid, MEDAC and Soliya. The programme is funded by the European Commission and co-funded by the Government of Finland, the British Council and World Bank Group.
Peer Facilitators Expected Roles
Peer Facilitators are key to YMV programme delivery; they are the link between young debaters in debate clubs and the rest of the programme; the organisations (hubs) and the Master Facilitators. In particular, Peer Facilitators are expected to:
- Attend a 3-day National Debate training in countrywhich will include an intensive training in the YMV Debate Curriculum and Facilitation Techniques and additional home/online learning.
- Attend the national launching meeting with hubs to develop cascade action plan.
- Deliver the debate training during cascade phase to debate clubs organised by Hubs organisations.
- Follow up and monitor debaters in debate clubs during practice and before competitions.
- Prepare motions for the debaters during the cascade trainings and other competitions.
- Travel (internally and/or externally) when needed.
- Report to Master Facilitators on debaters performance, number of debaters, motions used.
- Select and recommend debaters during the qualification stage leading to the final competition.
- Show full commitment throughout the YMV life cycle: National Debate training, cascade trainings, information sessions, inter-debate competitions, and the national debate forum.
- Become a part of the wider YMV team, actively participating in the ‘National Advisory Committee’ and sharing good practice.
- Become a representative of YMV, upholding YMV mission, ethos and reputation.
How to Apply?
Submit your Application Form attached below and all mandatory documentation to YMV@britishcouncil.org by the Response Deadline 7 April 2019, as set out in the timescale section of the application, mentioning in the subject email: [Peer Facilitator - Your Country – Your Name.]