IELTS General Training – prove you have practical, everyday English language skills
IELTS General Training measures English language proficiency in a practical, everyday context. The tasks and tests reflect both workplace and social situations.
Take this test if you would like to:
- train or study at below degree level
- work or undertake work related training in an English speaking country
- emigrate to an English speaking country
- get a better job in your own country.
If you want to emigrate to the UK, find out more about IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
IELTS General Training fees
- IELTS General Training paper-based test: 2500 Mad
- IELTS General Training computer-delivered test: 2600 Mad
Duration: 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Format: There are four sections to the test: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. When you book your IELTS test with the British Council, the test will take place in an official British Council IELTS test centre, whether you choose paper-based or computer-delivered.
If you take a paper-based test your Speaking test may be offered on the same day as the other sections of the test, or up to a week before or after. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
If you choose a computer-delivered test, you have a free choice of Speaking test dates and venues.