You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
|Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites.
Before you enter any personal details, please make sure that you are using our secure online registration system and check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1 Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates below which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2 Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS has two versions – IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. The Academic test is for those who want to study at academic level in an English-speaking country including Britain, the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. The General Training test is for those who want to do work experience or training programs, secondary school or migrate to an English-speaking country. All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking tests but have different Reading and Writing tests.
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3 Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register a month before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the scanned documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you send us ALL of the following documents when you register for your test:
- Two recent photos (passport size) that:
- have been taken within the past six months
- are taken against a plain background
- show the test taker with a neutral expression (no smiling) with mouth closed
- show the test taker without glasses (if you wear them).
- (Please be aware that your picture may appear on your Test Result Form).
- A scanned copy of your identification document (your passport or European ID card).
- If you are a non-European citizen, you must also provide a scanned copy of your visa.
6 Choose your payment options
The cost of sitting a test is 2400 MAD. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Online through the online application form
ii) With a cheque made payable to 'British Council'
iii) In person at the British Council Rabat and Casablanca reception desk. If you want to pay in person, we accept:
- Cash 2400 MAD
- Credit card
Monday to Friday: 9.30 - 18.30
Saturday: 9.00 - 17.30
iv) Via a bank transfer
- For Rabat and Tangier test sessions candidates, please send your payments to:
Societe Generale (SGMB)
Rabat Michlifen Agency
Account number : 022 810 000 091 00 283473 80 23
- For Casablanca and Marrakech test sessions candidates, please send your payments to :
Societe Generale (SGMB)
Casablanca Michlifen Agency
Account number : 022 810 000 091 00 283474 77 23
For more information contact us at Info.Info@britishcouncil.org.
- In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write: [IELTS / family name / city / test date]
- Once you have made the payment, please send us the bank transfer receipt with the rest of your registration documents.
7. Complete your registration
We need to receive all documents within five working days of your registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
You may bring the documents to the British Council in person, or send them by email.
Confirmation of your test
When the British Council receives your payment, you will receive another email confirming your registration.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS
We will send you a confirmation email four to five weeks before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
For more information please contact our Exams Services at Info.Info@britishcouncil.org.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have. We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us at Info.Info@britishcouncil.org three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy below prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date. You will receive a refund of the test fee, minus 25% for administration fees.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please e-mail us. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please read our transfer policy below and complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.